As you already found this article, I bet you are having trouble disciplining yourself. Grinding will take a lot more than just motivation and a growth mindset, discipline is the root. Are you having trouble having control over some or maybe most important aspects of your life? This article is for you!
Have you ever heard “everyone can have goals, but not everyone can achieve their goals”? Why do you think that happened? The difference between successful and unsuccessful people lay upon what they do daily, not what they do seldomly.
I am a UIUX designer and consultant. As someone who works remotely, I spend most of my time working indoors, especially during this pandemic. However, after about two years of working from home, I realised that there are a few habits that damage how my brain functions. I bet I am not the only one who thinks that having too much flexibility in your working hours is not good as some of us might end up overworking ourselves. Therefore, I highlighted a few brain damaging acts that you guys can avoid if you are searching for a way to have a work-life balance :
1. Skipping daily exercise
- This seems very mundane but there are still a lot of people who don't exercise regularly for a lot of reasons. The World Health Organization (WHO) recently revealed that about a quarter of the population didn’t get enough physical activities. This is such a big number. While according to the CDC, lack of exercise can lead to severe diseases such as heart diseases, diabetes, cancers and obesity. This will not only cost your time, but financially.
2. Skipping breakfast
- I know you might have fallen asleep late last night but don’t make that an excuse to skip your breakfast. Skipping breakfast hinders your productivity without you noticing. What actually happens when you skip your breakfast is that your body will get weaker due to the low level of sugar your body has. This is called hypoglycemia that can cause the rise in your blood pressure, headache and migraine. What do you do when you get all of these? You sleep, yes that’s what you do. That literally delays all your work, and if you are a designer, obviously during a time like this, your creativity will leave you faster than light speed.
3. Avoid challenges to keep you active
- Avoiding challenges is very harmful to your brain. When you let yourself stay in your comfort zone for too long, chances are you will start getting too comfortable being there and that will only make you busy and not productive. Let me tell you, being busy with something you end up not enjoying to do, will cause you more stress than taking the challenge.
4. Consume too much sugar
- Other than diabetes, the increase of glucose can also affect your cognitive functions. Even the slightest increase of glucose in your bloodstream can slow down your cognitive function, and deficit your memory and attention. Be aware of taking too much sugars! It is nice to have something sweet after a stressful day, but it is never healthy.
5. Less exposure to sunlight
- How many times a week do you go out to expose yourself to sunlight during this pandemic? If your answer is less than thrice per week, you need to go out more often. Why? Sunlight increases your serotonin hormone that can help to boost your mood and focus. If you ever wonder why you feel gloomy and have difficulty focusing, it might be because you were less exposed to sunlight.
6. Work too much and rest too little
- Deadline might sound scary. The long working hours might be good for your company but not for your health, especially your brain. According to British civil study, when you work too much and rest too little, it will decline your memory and thinking skills. This will affect the quality of your work especially if you work in the sector that needs you to think creatively and critically all the time like UI/UX designing sectors or digital marketing sectors.
7. Hearing music too loud
- Are you a person who enjoys listening to music loudly? You need to stop doing that now. According to neuroscientists, long exposure to loud noise above 110 decibels alters how your brain processes speech and potentially increases the difficulty to distinguish the speech sounds.
In short, staying motivated is not only relying on your positive mindset but also what you do daily. If you ever have these brain damaging acts, tackling them can make a lot of changes to your life. The choice is yours!